Thursday, August 9, 2007

Just My $.02

Every once in a while, I will take time out of my schedule and give you some of my unvarnished opinions on a variety of topics relating to the local, state, and national media. This is entry #1 and it focuses on KSPR-TV.

Known to many in the Ozarks as Springfield 33 this station has seemed to struggle mightily for years. I say seemed because I have no direct access to ratings, other than sources which seem to suggest what I believe. The high point of Springfield 33 was likely during the tenure of news anchors Bob Snell and Susan Harding. With their departure... Bob to Arkansas and Susan to Oregon, the station seemed to lose what momentum was present.

Now, KSPR has been bought by the same company which owns KYTV. I don't know if the recent changes that have been noticed on Springfield 33 are a direct result of these changes, but I hope it continues. The station is slowly gaining some momentum and is focusing on the news again. Some stability in the anchor chair would help and the station finding a niche that makes it unique in the Springfield market would also be helpful. They had the right idea when they tried an 11:30 am news. Maybe the station could try a 4:30 or 5:30 news? Maybe even 6:30? This way it doesn't directly competes for KY3 viewers but can create a great product.

There are still many hurdles to overcome. For example, the news broke this evening that a 20 year old murder had been solved. A quick glance at the KSPR homepage has a diet recipe as the lead story. Yet, the station is headed in the right direction. I hope it continues.


All right... that's my $.02. What do you think? Fire away, but remember no personal attacks or profanity allowed!

No comments: