Sunday, June 8, 2008

Getting To Know... Kate Stacy


The local news business can be a hectic one. KOLR 10/ KSFX's Kate Stacy exemplifies this as she heads out almost daily in search of bringing viewers of the Ozarks the best story possible. Recently I had a chance to talk to Ms. Stacy about life at the station and beyond.


2K: How long have you been at KOLR?


KS: I've been at KOLR three years. I started here in April of 2005 as a general assignment reporter and became weekend anchor 6 months later.


2K: What is life like behind the scenes at the station?


KS: It's always busy, but a lot of fun! Each shift begins with an editorial news meeting. We discuss story ideas and then crews head out into the field, while producers start to build a newscast. Everyone relies on one another to get a show on the air, so we all work as a team. However, after two and a half years working the weekend show, that crew has become especially close. You'd think we would want a break from one another, but you'll often find us hanging out together after work.


2K: So...I've heard rumors that there is a fierce competition between KOLR and KY3. Care to confirm or deny this rumor?


KS: I don't think you'll find anyone at any station in this market who will tell you they don't want have the best news product possible. We scramble to be the first on a live shot or to scoop a big story. However, several of us in this market have worked together at other stations at another point in our career. And since we're on the same stories, we get a chance to get to know other reporters we haven't met yet. So, while there's competition, I don't think you'll see an "Anchor Man" back alley brawl any time soon. In fact, I'm just weeks away from marrying someone who works in the KY3 newsroom, so we try to keep things as peaceful as possible!


2K: What are some of your favorite shows on television?


KS: Not a day goes by that I don't catch several newscasts...obviously! But when I'm ready to veg out, I try to catch Grey's Anatomy, LOST, How I Met Your Mother and Entourage.


2K: Where is your favorite place to eat in Springfield?


KS: I love going out to eat, so I'm not picky. But some of my more frequent stops include Mijuri and Kai for sushi. I also enjoy Neighborhood Pizza Cafe, D'Arpinos and Touch.


A big thank you to Kate for taking the time to talk to us. Oh, and congratulations on the upcoming wedding!!

No comments: