Wednesday, April 30, 2008

My $.02: That Anchor Is A Jerk! So what?!?

There have been posts after posts on other blogs that specifically discuss television news recently about how horribly rude David Gregory of NBC/MSNBC is behind the scenes, during commercials, etc. I have been ignoring adding any of those entries which quote several sources that seem to confirm the information. Apparently, David Gregory is a JERK! While it has been filling up some blogs for weeks, I have refused to mention it. Today I reached my breaking point and decided it was time to add my two cents.

Maybe my opinion is shallow, but here it is summed up into 2 words: who cares? If being rude was a crime most of this nation would be in jail. If I had a nickel for every one of my coworkers who has been discourteous to me this year, I would likely be able to buy a nice steak dinner. Yet, I don't go home and read about their behavior on a blog. And why should I? I shouldn't. One of the rudest individuals I ever worked for was a brilliant meteorologist with quick wit and great camera presence. As a member of the viewing public, I would much rather watch someone who understands the workings of the atmosphere than someone who copies the National Weather Service forecast and adds pictures.

Don't get me wrong. I am not advocating for rudeness. Rude people grate upon my last nerve. In the arena of broadcast journalism, however, my main concern isn't their conduct off camera but how they conduct themselves on air. The exception to this would be if they were to do something that was illegal and break the law. Those individuals should be punished accordingly and details about their behavior is fair game. Some examples that come to my mind in this regard would be KOLR 10's Steve LaRocco or CNN's Richard Quest.

In short, I would much rather have someone bringing me the news that is talented, capable, and a little egocentric, than have to watch a bumbling idiot who can't string two words together who has never said a rude thing in their life bring me my headlines. So enough with all the posts about someone with an ego. How about a little bit more time on the important things: the coverage of the news itself? What a concept! A news blog covering the coverage of the news!

2 comments:

Jason said...

Well, my concern is that his rudeness translates into the way he covers stories. He shows open contempt for one particular political party in his off-camera time and one has to wonder how he can provide fair and balanced reporting eliminating as much personal bias as possible when he's so very much against certain people in his off-camera time.

The rudeness reflects the person within and how they see the world...and I wonder how that can not effect the reports that he files.

GCook said...

The focus of the stories I am referencing has been toward his swollen head and his ego rather than bias and disdain toward a certain political party. What you are referring to is perfectly legitimate and is worthy of discussing.

This, however, is not what the blogs have been reporting about. Instead, angry co-workers are leaking things about him and the outlets are running with it. That shouldn't be what is being covered.

Thanks for your comment! I appreciate the lively discussion. :)