Friday, April 11, 2008

Getting To Know... Mallory McGowin


It has been a while since we talked to a local tv news personality to find out about life behind the scenes. KRCG's Mallory McGowin has done a lot in her short time at the station. She graduated from Drury University in May of 2007. I recently had a chance to ask her a few questions:

2K: Why did you choose to go into television journalism?

MM: My response seems to be a fairly common one reporters give to the question of why we entered this business. I decided to enter television journalism because I loved the idea of meeting new people and learning new things everyday. I love print and online journalism, but the visual aspect of television news was also very appealing to me. I love to shoot and edit video, write, and talk with all kinds of people so this was really a perfect fit.

2K: What is one thing you have learned on the job that you wished you would have been taught in college?

MM: Since starting my broadcast career almost a year ago, I've learned just how fast-paced and time-crunched this business really is. I'm not saying college instructors leave this part of the industry out of their lectures, but there's no way you can begin to grasp how much pressure there is until you are in the middle of it all!

2K: What is one thing viewers would be surprised to learn about the newsteam at KRCG?

MM: I don't know if viewers would be surprised by this or not, but the people on our newsteam are really, really funny. It may not seem like it on the air, but we've got some pretty heavy-hitting comics sitting in these cubicles. So, in the midst of the average fast-paced newsday, we still find time to telling a few side-splitting jokes and watch the occasional hilarious video on YouTube!

2K: Do you have an I-Pod? If so, what artists are on it?

MM: I know this makes me sound incredibly dull and out of touch with reality, but the I-Pod I have was actually given to me by a friend who got a new one and I do not actively download music since leaving college. But, what I do have on my playlist is a very hodge-podge mix because I like all kinds of music. There's everything from Miranda Lambert and Little Big Town to Steve Miller Band and Van Halen. I also love Michael Buble, Pat Benetar, and Nora Jones. That's quite a list, huh?!

We will hopefully have more getting to know segments in the days and weeks ahead.

1 comment:

DONNA said...

Very interesting! Hope you will have more of these coming our way.