Sunday, February 17, 2008

My $.02: Ozarks FOX in the Morning

This week gave me some time off to watch some local news (imagine that!). One of my first choices was to see what the first attempt from KSFX in the morning had to offer. I have to honestly say that I was somewhat underwhelmed.

First of all, I have to say that there were some things I was anticipating that weren't there. In order to keep a loyal viewership, it must be somewhat entertaining and pleasant to watch. Now, I know what some of you are saying... local news isn't supposed to be entertaining. To some extent, I agree. I am a proponent of hard news. I feel that in-depth investigations and breaking news make or break a newscast, along with reliable weather. In the morning, however, to compete with the Today Show, Good Morning America, and *cough* The Early Show, there has to be some personality.

Rob Evans has that ability, but being a single anchor with limited time with Meteorologist Tom Trtan doesn't provide a viewer a reason to watch Ozarks Fox versus a national program. The news was recycled from KOLR 10 This Morning for the most part and the most compelling reason to watch (the ice storm) was relegated to about :08 into the program. If you are live off the top of the program out in the storm (or at least covering the story while showing Springfield city cameras) then people will stay with you.

If a local news at 7 a.m. is going to work, it MUST heavily emphasize live local information immediately. Otherwise, viewers will just wait for the local news update at 7:25 on the other network shows.

The highlight of the newscast was the live local interview that occurred about :18 or so into the show, but by then I am afraid those who were expecting more of this kind of activity had already turned the channel. The interview that morning was with Barry Hinson and was fascinating to watch. Rob's sports background helped the interview proceed smoothly, but he, as an anchor, is much more comfortable talking with people than reading the news.

I am very excited that the station has decided to have a 7 a.m. newscast. Spending some time in the Kansas City viewing area, I always enjoyed WDAF's 5-9 a.m. news block. They were able to cover traffic in real-time and gave their viewers immediate information that they couldn't get while watching Meredith, Matt, Ann, and Al. Hopefully these changes will come over the coming weeks as the station tweeks the program and finds what works and what doesn't.

Otherwise, Ozarks FOX in the Morning will become an hour of KOLR 10 This Morning repeated on FOX 27.

No comments: