Sunday, January 13, 2008

My $.02: Twister Assembly Line 2008

My internet has been down since last Monday night. For most people in SW MO, it will be a night we won't soon forget. Since the internet came back online this afternoon, I have been perusing blogs and sites trying to find a real good source to rate media coverage. I was unsuccessful.

My Monday night was supposed to be a quiet one. I got in from New Mexico late Sunday, I worked Monday, and then had to head to Nixa to the dentist Monday evening. I was extremely tired, so I decided I would have my mother drive me (what a saint, eh?) so I can rest on the way back home. Well, I left the dentist office at approximately 5:35 p.m. with the sirens blaring. There was no real practical way to get back home. My choices were to either take shelter in Springfield or try to get north of the storms to find a route back home that way. Being I have been through the Storm Spotter classes, I decided that I would try to guide my mother ahead of the storms. Long story short... it took us three and a half hours to get back home.

I said all that to say this. I wasn't able to start watching local coverage on the tv until around 9:15 or so. My analysis will have to be based on the situation after that. First, let me thank KTTS for their amazing radio job (AS ALWAYS!!!!). They helped save lives. Next, let me thank KY3 and KSPR for their great job. I believe both stations were on the air continuously for approximately 12+ hours. They did a wonderful job. I was unable to catch KOLR or KSFX in their coverage, but would assume they did a good as well.

Ultimately, though, the experience of Ron and Dave truly shined. Their knowledge of Ozark geography really helped them provide viewers with life-saving information that gave them a leg up on the competition. That isn't to belittle Kevin and Josh. They did a great job, but still have some catching up to do. I imagine this will come in time as they become more familiar with the area.

I am glad we have tv stations in the Ozarks that allow their mets to cover these severe storms and help save lives. I hope people didn't call in and complain about the coverage. The situation warranted the non-stop info. I just hope we don't have another night like that again any time soon!

1 comment:

The Lorax said...

Thx.

Only a few complaints from those who didn't see storms and didn't "get it" on how bad it was... in the end we did reair Medium.

In the end, something on the order of 1000+ emails, calls and letters. Wow, to say the least.