Sunday, September 16, 2007

My $.02... The New KSPR


Well, today makes day 7 of the new KSPR and I have to say it is a vast improvement over what was being called a "newcast" on that channel. The station needed a rebranding badly and I believe that most of the steps were in a positive direction. Let me briefly summarize my likes and dislikes.


Likes:

* Time changes: I may be the only one in the Ozarks who feels this way, but news at 4:30 and 5:30 are more convenient for me. Having a station with a newscast before everyone else gives the station a chance to "break" stories.


*New weather system: By far, an improvement over the graphics of the former Springfield 33. Could possibly be the cleanest graphics in all of the Springfield market.


* Talent: Personalities mesh very well, especially Josh deBerge and Michelle Sherwood. Only one reporter has so far stood out to me as having been a little weak, but it could have just been because it was breaking news, feed problems, etc. I will give it more time before I pass judgment.


*Interaction with Viewers: Great feature added to the newscast!


Dislikes:

* Sunday-Thursday wheel: Maybe it is because it is new and I am not used to it yet, but I HATE the Sunday-Thursday rotation for the weekday anchors and Sat-Sun for the weekend set.


*Ad campaign: While I like the premise for the ads, I find the responses by the viewers completely bizarre. I am not sure what KSPR is going for. I think the ads would be much more effective if they had this scenario. Take the grocery shopping ad, for instance. The mother and kids are walking down the aisle and pick up a box of sweets. A KSPR anchor/reporter comes down the aisle with a cart, warns the mother "Did you know...", the mother smiles, puts it back, looks appreciative, while the kids are like "WHAT?". Then it looks like KSPR is doing a service as opposed to annoying the Ozarks.


* Lack of news: Some of the newscasts have been filled with stories, some are rather sparse and have many more commercial breaks. KSPR needs to find a consistant coverage level and stick with it.


Overall, I am enjoying the new KSPR. That's just my $.02... your thoughts?

1 comment:

Ron Davis said...

Thanks for your review, N2k. Hope you keep watching, and keep us on our toes.